- Biennial Medals go to outstanding contributors to modelling and simulation over a sustained period and who have a record of service to the Society (such as organising sessions at biennial Congresses). Medallists automatically become Fellows of the Society. These are awarded in every odd-numbered year, to coincide with the Biennial Congress.
- Fellows are recognised for their outstanding service to the Society through their unselfish dedication to the aims of the Society as well as for their contributions to modelling and simulation. These are awarded in every even-numbered year.
- Early Career Research Excellence (ECRE) Awards are awarded in the Congress year. These commenced in 2001 and are normally awarded to researchers who obtained their PhD during the past seven years or so.
- Student Awards for Excellent Paper and Presentation are judged at each Congress, and presented at the close of each Congress. A Commendation Certificate is awarded and a cash prize may be associated with one or more of the recipients.
Award recipients from previous years:
At the 2003 AGM, an Awards Committee comprised of Society Fellows was established as a regular Committee of the Society to manage the nomination and selection process for fellowships, biennial medals and ECRE prizes.
The current Awards Committee is:
- Tony Jakeman (integration) — chair
- Dora Marinova (policy)
- Les Oxley (economics)
- Blair Nancarrow (social)
- Roger Braddock (mathematics)
- Francis Chiew (hydrology/climate)